Martin United Lightning Policy
Martin United Soccer Club respects the danger and risks posed by lightning. To ensure everyone’s safety, all personnel, athletes, and spectators must adhere to the following policies when on Club assigned fields or when involved with a Club related activity (including away events).
RULE: If lightning strikes within 10 miles, all training sessions and/or games are to be stopped immediately and all players, coaches, and spectators are to take shelter in their vehicles or another safe place.
The Martin United coaching staff are instructed to monitor lightning strikes and to stop all sessions immediately if lightning strikes within 10 miles. An app should be used to measure the distance. Alternatively, the time from the sight of lightning to the sound of thunder may be used (50 seconds or less = 10 miles or less). There is no exception to this rule. Everyone, including players, coaches, and spectators, are to take immediate shelter.
- All training sessions and games will be delayed for 30 minutes at the first lightning strike within 10 miles.
- The 30-minute delay will restart every time lightning strikes within 10 miles.
- Players, parents, and spectators are not to return to the fields until a full 30 minutes has passed without a lightning strike within 10 miles.
- Clear sky, blue sky, and sun shining does not mean the area is safe to resume practice and games!
- All practice sessions will finish at their designated time unless field space and coaches’ availability permit for a practice extension.
- Games may be cancelled for any lightning strike within 10 miles after the initial 30-minute delay.
Anyone not following these guidelines who chooses to remain outdoors or in an inappropriate area or shelter do so at their own risk.
All individuals have the right to leave a site or activity, without fear of repercussion or penalty, to seek a safe structure or location if they feel that they are in danger from impending lightning activity.
The Club reserves the right to postpone or cancel any club related events at any time due to forecasted lightning.
Lightning Safety Informational References:
- US Youth Soccer – http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/lightning_safety_outdoors/
- National Lightning Safety Institute – http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/ncaa.html
- NCAA – http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/lightning-safety